Sunday, February 27, 2011

SUNDAY BRUNCH ~ LOWELL'S



One of Seattle's most historical land marks as well as a beloved fixture to our rainy city culture is Pikes Place Market.  Before I moved here to the great emerald city my dad used to travel here on business, and I was lucky to be his little tag along travel companion.  I remember the first time I visited Seattle, I was only 11 years old and I remember falling head over heals in love with it.  No surprise, that I later followed my great love and transplanted myself here for the long gray skyed haul away from my home town in sunny California.


I can remember back to my first visit to Seattle.  We ate breakfast every morning at this quaint 3 storied diner with one amazing view, inside the market.  Every morning, the same little seagull with a missing foot (later to be named Henry) would sit on the building ledge, just outside our table window.  I would drop bits of my breakfast out the window to Henry.  Over the years, Lowell's has become an iconic figure in my personal Seattle history.


Lowell's has been labeled the "Living Room" to Pikes Place Market.  It opened in the early 1900's as a coffee and peanut roaster as well as a cafeteria to the local workers.  It's current name "Lowell's" came into play in 1957.  Lowell's has classic all American breakfasts. Eggs, bacon, toast and hash browns always cooked to perfection.  Its a tried and true representation of the classic breakfast we all love, but the best part about Lowell's is the atmosphier.  The hustle and bustle of the market life, combined with peaceful nooks and crannies with picturesque views of the Seattle Harbor, Elliot Bay and the majestic Olympic Mountains.





Magic can always be found at Pikes market.  The vibrant colors, strange fishy smells, and musical sounds of street performing musicians with their unique and unusual instruments.  Spending a day at the market to me, means fresh hot miniature doughnuts from the mini doughnut machine, visiting Rachelle the bronze pig, flying fish and the wall of gum! Then later grabbing something warm to drink from the original Starbucks before taking my tickled and delighted self home in a complete and utter state of bliss. 




Cheers to you Lowell's for continuing to make Pikes Market that much more magical in my eyes from 11 years of age till now.





This Blog is dedicated to Rachelle, who was recently hit by a taxi driver on her way home from the market.
Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!


And to Henry.
xoxo

No comments: