Sunday, March 20, 2011

SUNDAY BRUNCH ~ THE HANGAR INN

As much as I love to spend the weekend puttering around Seattle, I also love to spend my weekends puttering around Puyallup.  My husband's parents live in Puyallup Washington, and I have grown to really love this town.  I love driving through the small farms and old parts of town and I love the special weekend time we spend with my wonderful in-laws every week. 
.
This weekend, we actually got a little bit of sunshine!  HOORAY!!  Since it was such a lovely day, and we were planning to visit the folks, I thought it would be a perfect day to have brunch at the Hangar Inn at Thun Field!
.
Thun Field was first purchased in 1949 by a 32 year old John Thun.  At the time, it was 6 miles south of the city of Puyallup and was an empty field strewn with rocks.  John and his family excavated the property and paved the first run strip.  John was described as "bigger than life!  He was never afraid to take risks.  He always just had a way of making things work."  John opened his private airport in 1957 where he gave private flying lessons.  John and his wife Vera who was known as "Babe" lived in a house built along side the run way where they also ran a coffee and pie shop.
.
Today Thun field is owned by Pierce County and Johns old coffee and pie shop is one of Puyallups funnest hang out spots!  A down home diner where you can eat some all American food cooked up right!  While enjoying a meal you can sit back and enjoy a perfect picturesque view of Mount Rainer as well as watch planes coming and going in all directions.
.
A great place to fully soak in a happy sunny day while having a down home cooked meal.







CHEERS!

No comments: