Thursday, March 17, 2011

HONEYMOONING IN COSTA RICA!

Last October, Curtis and I spent our two week honeymoon in Costa Rica.  It was the first time either one of us had been out of the US.  Well, that's not entirely true, I've been to Tijuana once, but I don't think that really counts.  Anyway, we decided to be completely adventurous and not plan a single thing.  The only thing we did plan was our first night's hostel room and our last nights.  The rest of the trip was completely up to us as to where we wanted to go, what we wanted to do and how long we wanted to stay. 
.
For those of you who don't know Curtis, this was an enormous leap of faith on his part because he has to plan EVERYTHING!  He was so nervous going into it, but he got the hang of it really quick and enjoyed every minute of it.  Bless his heart!
.
We had the best time you could possibly imagine.  We had been warned by several people to not do certain things or not go certain places, and not to trust the monkeys.  lol   We were very cautious the entire trip but not a single thing went wrong.  I was actually counting on something going wrong since we didn't actually plan anything, but nope, everything went as smoothly and as wonderful as possible.
.
Through out the duration on the trip, Curtis and I were sending long emails to our family and friends telling the story of all our adventures.  It's actually what made me think about starting up this blog.   After we got home, I started working on putting a book together to commemorate our amazing trip.  The book wound up being about 50 pages and contains many of our photographs and snip its from the emails we sent to all our friends and family.  It finally arrived in the mail the other day, and I'm so elated with how it came out!!  I used Shutterfly to make the book.   I just had to share with you!


We visited San Jose, Tortuguero, Cahuita, Puerto Viejo and Monteverde.
We stayed mostly on the Caribbean side of Costa Rica because we had never seen the Caribbean sea!


Here are a few more pictures of our trip.  We have so many good ones, its hard to just pick a few to share.  By the way, all these photos were taken on my 35mm Ricoh film camera!  Some of us still believe in the old school ways!


This is a picture of the stair case at our San Jose hostel, Costa Rica Backpackers


After a few nights in San Jose, we took a tour bus and 2 water taxi's to the small town of Tortuguero. 


This is a local "Soda" in Tortuguero.  This is one of my favorite pictures.


Tortuguero native riding his bike down the the main road in town.


Curt and I on the water taxi.


We got to see a Camen on the way in.


I've got a Coconut!!


Tortuguero is a nesting ground for Giant Green Sea Turtles.  Our group found a nest of baby ones and we were able to carry about 40 of them by hand to the ocean.  One of the most amazing experiences of my life!


This was our lodgings in Cahuita at Cabinas Algebra.  Our hut was called the Taj Mahal.  Curtis wasn't fond of it, but I LOVED it!  It made me feel like we were Swiss Family Robinson!  Howler Monkeys would sing us to sleep at night and spider monkeys would wake us up in the morning. 


This is Charlie Brown.  He pretty much ran the place at Cabinas Algebra.


Our hostel at Cabinas Algebra was just across the street from Playa Negra.  I ran down the beach to snap a picture of this lone surfer.


From Cahuita we took a short bus ride to Puerto Viejo where the breeze was warm and the palm trees grew sideways.  This town is very easy to loose yourself in.  Its so beautiful, and the atmosphere was amazing.


This is my prize photo on Cockles Beach in Perto Viejo.


Yeah I took the camera with me everywhere.


Curtis taking a dip!


We took a white knuckled bus ride up the side of the mountain to get to Monteverde.  Such a gorgeous town, tucked inside the nooks and crannies of the mountainside.


Got to see some amazing bugs while we were there!


My whole reasoning for wanting to visit Monteverde was to hike the suspension bridges.  I needed to get my Indiana Jones on!



Give me something architectural and I go crazy.  :O)

Well there you have it.  If anyone is interested in hearing more about our adventures in Costa Rica, leave a comment and maybe Ill post another blog with our travel journal!

CHEERS!

1 comment:

Missy Jo said...

I read the book yesterday and absolutely LOVED it! I was smiling the whole time.